No more arms for atrocities. It’s time for a bullet proof arms trade treaty.
Every day, millions of people suffer from the direct and indirect consequences of the irresponsible arms trade: thousands are killed, others are injured, many are raped, and/or forced to flee from their homes, while many others have to live under constant threat of weapons.
The poorly regulated global trade in conventional arms and ammunition fuels conflict, poverty and human rights abuses. Health, education and other services are being denied and livelihoods destroyed.
This is week 3 of the ARMS TRADE TREATY NEGOTIATING CONFERENCE. 74 states signed a statement on Friday calling for the arms treaty to:
Prevent authorization of transfer of conventional arms where there is a substantial risk that those weapons would be, inter alia:
- used for, or facilitate, serious violations of international law, including international humanitarian law and human rights law,
- having a destabilizing effect or exacerbating existing conflicts,
- diverted to unauthorized end users.
The UK was not a signatory of this statement which can be viewed in full here.
Please let the UK government know that we are watching their actions.
1. Sign the control arms petition and demand a life saving treaty
2. Urge the UK government to do us proud by adding your name to Amnesty’s email to Minister Alistair Burt
3. Tweet about your actions and share them on facebook